9 Random Thoughts Regarding Training by Dave Coffin
- Experience is the best teacher. Academic preparation is important however real world experience trumps it in terms of actually learning what works from a coaching perspective.
- Long rest periods are necessary. Remember, we are training to get better not tired.
- In related news, not everything has to be a conditioning stimulus.
- Some exercises are more worthwhile investments than others. Most people are training with time constraints. Spend your training time wisely.
- If something hurts, don’t do it.
- Training sessions should be viewed as small pieces of a larger picture.
- Nobody has their best day every day. Consistent effort applied over a long period of time is the recipe for training success.
- Kettlebells are great tools as are barbells, suspension training apparatuses (i.e. TRX, blast straps, etc), sleds and dumbbells. Each tool has a place in a training program. However, being married to one versus the other or making blanket statements such as, “All you need is kettlebells or blah blah blah” is short sighted and silly. I cannot recall the last time I heard a carpenter say, “The only tool I need to build your house is a hammer”.
- There are no magical diets or training programs.